- Gemstone Family - Quartz
- Chakras - Throat (5th), Brow (6th)
- Colour - Blue with soft white banding
- Found in - Germany (Idar-Oberstein area), Brazil, Egypt, Italy, Madagascar, Mexico and Scotland
- Element - Associated with Earth
- Also known as - "Protector of Children"
- Meaning - Agate is named after the Achates River (now known as the Dirillo River) on the island of Sicily, Italy, whose upper waters were an ancient source of this gemstone.
- Birthstone - Month Not a traditional birthstone
- Zodiac Sign - Gemini
- Chemical Composition - SiO2
- Hardness on the Mohs scale - 7 (1 being softest, 10 being hardest)
- Physical Healing Properties - Enhances mental activity by improving concentration, perception, and analytical abilities. Agate can stimulates the digestive system and relieves gastritis when placed on the abdomen.
- Emotional Healing Properties - Promoting self-acceptance and confidence, Agate overcomes negativity and harshness of the heart, by healing anger, encouraging love, and giving the courage to start over. It is a very useful stone for any kind of trauma.
- Spiritual Properties - This stone encourages a quiet contemplation of one's life experiences that lead to spiritual growth and inner stability.
- Legend has it that... The wearing of Agate was believed to be a cure for insomnia and was thought to induce pleasant dreams. Agate is said to have the power to protect the wearer from danger and to protect children from falling.
View our Blue Banded Agate Here
Click here to download your free printable reference sheet